It started as friendly banter between campsites in the caravan park but we took one-upmanship to a new level with an over the top wine and food matching evening with a little help from some friends. What started out as a decision to have a crab and squid linguine meal one evening with our freshly caught seafood soon turned into an all-out degustation for four, where we finished up matching drinks with each course and produced a menu of dishes that we would be happy to order out anytime.
See how you think we went with our menu.
- For an appetiser we had oysters Kilpatrick with a South Australian, Seppeltsfield Road Distillers, Barossa Dry Gin and tonic.
- Entrée consisted of a prawn cocktail paired with a dry, light bodied, Pewsey Vale Eden Valley Riesling from SA.
- The divine main course of crab and squid linguine in a tomato and garlic sauce was accompanied with a crisp Shiraz Rose from Ekhidna Wines, McLaren Vale SA (my favourite)
- Dessert was a nectarine clafouti made from freshly picked local fruit and served with a cappuccino and vanilla ice cream which we paired with a sweet Truffle Hill cane cut Riesling from WA.
- Finally as a finishing exclamation mark (and our mike drop moment), we had Frangelico hazelnut liqueur with our Nespresso pod coffee and some dark chocolate.
Not a bad effort for caravanning by the beach, and we didn’t have to leave the campsite to prepare any of it! All of the dishes were cooked in our caravan ovens, or in electric frying pans outdoors. This definitely isn’t an everyday event, but for a bit of fun and stirring up our fellow caravanners, it did the trick.
That will be one hard evening to top, who says caravanning is roughing it?